The SOS store would like some help with advertising. We have made brochures and posters in English and Spanish and would like some help with getting them put out around the area businesses bulletin boards, break rooms and waiting rooms. Such as Tyson Pork, Tyson Turkey, Rembrandt Enterprise, BVU, churches, laundromats, banks, hospitals, clinics and anywhere else that you may think they could help our cause contact Marty and Kay Broich at email@example.com or 712-299-2302. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Join us just north of the church at the SOS Thrift Store - stop in to shop for housewares, clothing, books, furniture and who knows what else you will find? Revenue from the store Supports Our School!
Current store hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from noon-5 p.m.
Saturdays 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Closed Tuesdays and Sundays.
Greetings from the SOS Board,
Thanks to those of you who filled out our survey. There weren’t many surprises in your responses other than the number of families that work at their regular paid jobs on Saturdays.
After considerable thought and discussion, the SOS board will be making some changes this year to try and accommodate more families, so they are able to work their hours at the store:
- We will assign classes to each month: August will be the 12th grade, September the 11th grade, October the 10th grade, November the 9th grade, and so on. We will most likely ask parents of kindergarten students to help with the smaller classes in the high school.
- We will be implementing shorter shifts: 10am – 1pm, and 1pm – 4pm. Our hope is that with the shorter shifts, parents can help each other with child care if need be.
- We will have online sign up available the month before your student’s class is asked to work. No more signing up a year in advance.
- We will only have 5 or 6 spaces to sign up on the schedule so that we don’t have 10 – 12 families on some Saturdays, and 1 or 2 on others.
- The SOS board will have a monthly training session so that parents can better understand what needs to be done on Saturdays.
If you can’t help on Saturday’s, then sign up for 18 hours during the weekdays.
Here's the ON-LINE sign-ups as you requested on the surveys- thank you for taking the surveys! Have a great school year!
A little history!
In our 2006 Catholic Schools Week celebration, we named graduates Peg Harrington '76) Flynn and Rae (Harrington '71) Thompson Volunteers of the Year from then Principal Rose (Hoye '67) Davis for their leadership in conceiving the idea of the SOS Thrift Store and bringing it to fruition!
"These two women jumped in with both feet, got down on their hands and knees, scrubbed the floors and walls. They wanted their dream to succeed and their passion and effort caught the eye of others," Davis said in the Black and White newsletter.
"We gratefully and humbly accept this award on behalf of all of our volunteers," said Thompson. "We want to especially thank our mother, Edith (Veehoff) Harrington, St. Mary's Class of 1944. She is our role model."
The idea for a thrift store, whose profits would be used for tuition assistance at St. Mary's School, came out of a parent meeting March 5, 2005. The idea was proposed by Flynn and Thompson at the meeting. They suggested the school and the community would benefit from the store.
The store opened in July 2005 on Flindt Drive and raised $23,000 in the first 23 weeks of operation.